Exterior doors do more for the overall look of your home than what you probably realize. The front door often pulls the eye as it provides a pop of colour, a unique design and ties together the overall style of your house. Front door replacement in Toronto homes is one of the quickest ways you can refresh a dated exterior.
Why Doors Are So Important
If the kitchen is the heart of the home, the front door is the soul. Think about how often you interact with exterior doors. Every time you enter or exit the home, you do so through the door.
A door provides a tactile and visual experience. It can brighten up a dull exterior but also an interior. It can provide light, warmth and a welcome to visitors. The door leaves an impression on those who drive by your house, deliver packages or enter through it.
Think about the door of the house of your childhood home? Do you remember how it looked? The sound it made when you closed it? Your mom telling you not to slam the door when you ran out too fast?
A door can set the mood for a house in many different ways.
Choosing a Replacement Door
Door replacement in Toronto homes doesn’t have to be a nerve-wracking experience. Modern doors are made to withstand wind, rain and snow. They are also strong enough to rebuke intruders, but beautiful enough to add detail to your home.
Here are some tips for choosing a replacement door:
- Decide whether you want a door that is similar to the one you have. If so, replacing it may be a fairly simply process. However, if you want one that is a different size or design, a professional installer may have to rip out an old frame and complete some other basic carpentry work.
- Choose which way the door will swing – right or left.
- Choose steel or fibreglass.
- Choose the types of panels and glass inserts you want.
- Choose a custom colour that complements your home’s exterior and provides a pop of colour that will draw the eye. You want people to notice your new door!
- Choose hardware that complements the overall look of the door and your home.
Other Reasons to Replace Your Exterior Doors
In addition to upgrading the look of your home’s exterior, adding replacement doors can help up your energy savings. Newer doors are better sealed and weather stripping will be replaced upon installation. The door will operate smoother and allow for less loss in heating and cooling.
A new door can also add value to your home. Remodeling Magazine estimates that homeowners can see as much as a 74 percent return on the amount they invest in replacing windows and doors. In addition to recouping the costs, the added curb appeal can help you sell a home more quickly than one that hasn’t had replacement doors installed.
Check out George Kent Home Improvement services if you want to freshen up the exterior of your home. They provide an inexpensive and easy way to do so with a brand new door!